Monday, September 28, 2015

Cranberry Vanilla Bean-Almond Oatmeal

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I will be honest with you.  It's the hardest one for me.  I try really hard to eat something every morning, but there are mornings that it just gets skipped.  Oatmeal tends to be one of my go-to breakfasts when I have a little bit of time in the mornings, especially after a nice, long walk. 

I have always liked oatmeal.  I remember begging my mom to get the Quaker instant packs as a kid (the blueberries and cream was my favorite!).  Somehow my love of oatmeal did not get passed down to my kids (unless in cookie or granola bar form).  Super sad face.  We don't buy them anymore  because they have all sorts of yucky things in them.  And, it's really not that hard to make it yourself (trust me. . . multi-tasking is perfect for oatmeal making!). 

So, last week, when I couldn't find the raisins, I just started working with flavors.  And trust me. . . it's pretty awesome! 

What's your favorite breakfast?  Comment or add your link in the comments!

Cranberry Vanilla Bean & Almond Oatmeal

Ingredients:
1/2 cup oatmeal (not Steel-Cut)
1 cup water
handful of dried cranberries
brown sugar, to taste
Cinnamon, to taste
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/4 tsp almond extract
Vanilla almond milk
slivered almonds

Directions:

:: Bring water to boil in a small pot.  While that's going on, toss in your cranberries so they can plump up while you are waiting.  Add oatmeal and stir.  Let sit for a minute or two until done cooking.  Add sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and almond extract to oatmeal and give a nice little whirl with a spoon.  Pour into your favorite cereal bowl.  Sprinkle oatmeal with slivered almonds.  Pour some vanilla almond milk over the top and eat. 

note: I tend to be a bit generous with my sugar. . . it's a problem, I know.  I usually use between 2-4 tablespoons. . . don't judge. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...